Sunday, February 19, 2012

Scale wars

Two weeks ago I was a mere 4 pounds away from hitting a big milestone. I haven't seen a 2 in the first digit of my weight for nearly 15 years. I was so excited! A few days later I was 2 lbs closer and even more excited! Then I did what I always do. Seems like anytime I get close to a weight milestone I get cocky, lazy, and have a tendency to sabotage myself.

My weight shot up 7 lbs in less than a week!

I don't exactly know how that is possible considering even my worst day during that week I didn't break 3000 calories, and I continued to exercise some. That is just one of the world's great mysteries I guess. I have to believe there were other factors involved; starting weight training, lowering my daily calories/fat/carb limits, and the most likely culprit - PMS.

The rapid gain (seemingly) without a rapid rebound was starting to affect my drive and I considered just giving up for a while. I can't say I had the best week, but I didn't entirely give up either. I feel more back to my "normal" now, and the scale is moving in the right direction again.

Seeing the scale move is a great source of motivation, however I see now that I need to look for other ways to motivate myself. That scale is not always going to move, and when it does - it might not always move in the right direction, but I have to keep my focus moving in the right direction despite what the scale does.

One day at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions and want to keep this blog a positive experience. If you are here only to criticize please save your breath and move along. Thanks!